It is very important to know the states of Virtual Machines, as they play a key role in the billing and may affect the organization monthly bill.
- Machine is running and the services are running.
- The service is billable.
- Machine is Shutdown but the services are running.
- The service is still billable.
- The public IP address will not release from the Virtual machine.
- Mostly this scenario happens, when the user shutdown the machine from inside the Virtual Machine.
- Stopped (Deallocated):
- Machine is in shutdown state and the services also stopped.
- This state is not billable.
- Public IP address will get released, if is dynamic IP address.
- The machine needs to stop from the Azure console to stop all the services related to the Virtual Machine.